Author Topic: What is Power Factor Correction in HMIs , And why is it so important in producti  (Read 695 times)

BrianDzyak

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=43872&hl=

(Michael Collier @ Jan 8 2010, 01:01 PM) *
My question is why do PFC circuits cost so much? How do they work.

QUOTE (John Sprung @ Jan 8 2010, 03:30 PM) *
With a purely inductive and resistive load, you can solve the problem with capacitance - and vice versa. My guess is that the problem gets more expensive when the load deviates from a sine wave. It may be more in design than in components. This business is customer driven. The more we ask for it, the harder they'll think about delivering it.

John’s guess is correct. It is when the voltage waveform induced by the load deviates from a sine wave that power factor correction gets expensive. For instance, in the strictest sense magnetic HMI ballasts are “Power Factor Corrected.” In order to understand what I mean, it would help to understand some basic electrical engineering principles. If you haven't already, I would suggest you read the article I wrote for our company newsletter on the use of portable generators in motion picture lighting. In it I cover some of the basic electrical engineering principles behind harmonic distortion and how it can adversely effect generators. The article is available on our website.

Here is a much simplified explanation of power factor and why it is necessary in HMI & Kino ballasts.